Wednesday, February 28, 2007

3 Hours of BJJ Tonight

Let's see...

Blue Belt Class:
* punch/block drills
* worked on headlock escapes.
- Standing headlock escape.
- From side-mount: pendulum sweep, throwing the football, pulling over when throwing the football doesn't work.

Nothing major. Just helped out a no-stripe whitebelt and used it as a warm-up.


Purple Belt Class:
* We did an arm-drag to single leg takedown that was interesting. Set up from an armdrag that they pulled back from. Weird part was that the far-side hand reached around the uke's waist (near side and head were same as normal double-leg), then blocked legs with legs to do the takedown. Started getting a stomach cramp doing this...shouldn't have had that pasta at 4:40.
* Worked on punching drills, but with cross going to hook with partner providing hand targets and moving around.
* Last, we worked on butterfly guard work. How do get pummel if the are riding low. How to undo a can-opener from butterfly guard and get double pummels (grab elbows, roll over, legs up, bearhug with head in the middle, then sit up), a side sweep to side-control and a counter roll to their posting with a leg to stop the side sweep.


Randori:
Worked with a couple guys about my level, a couple of younger guys, a brown belt, and a blue belt who was really good. blue belt had wrestling experience and went for the legs a lot, which kinda threw me off my game some...plus he was really good. Going to have to work on defending leg takedowns, even when kneeling. Got Keegen with a walkover guard pass to upside-down footlock...tried it on the brown belt and -almost- got it...he pulled me back. :) I like that one. As promised, I worked on side control escapes and got a lot more comfortable with them. Learned some basic form that helps out a lot. Last match during Randori, Professor Easton asked anyone who wanted some tips on being in guard to gather round and me and some other guys went over to get some wizdam. We defintely got some good tips on how to hold posture and what to worry about controling when inside someone else's guard.

Looked up my stats on their computer...I have 23 Randori's under my belt. I think they start thinking seriously about belt promotions after about 30. It would be neat to see how many total 1-hour classes and Randori (combined) that I've actually gone to, at -minimum-, its over 140...I would guess close to 170). That's crazy. I got my pilot's license in like 80 hours.


I'm totally drained. I need to start running more (now that I'm not sick) and eating smarter before classes like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment